Hiking Trolltunga: Myths and reality

14:48

Odda, Trolltunga view
Whenever one googles "Norway" pictures of people sitting on the edge of the famous Trolltunga will appear. When I moved to Norway for my one year work experience, this mainstream place was on the top of my bucket list of things to do while in Norway. So here I was, on the 18th of June, 10 days until returning home, trotting my first steps into conquering this rock...

Before the hike:

Since the hike itself takes 22kms, it requires some extra thinking and planning. I didn't have much time to prepare, since the idea to climb Trolltunga was quite spontaneous and the final decision was made some 12-14 days before.

My whole preparation consisted of more intensive jogging for 20 minutes every 2nd day and a thorough list of what to pack. Since I am no frequent hiker without proper hiking backpack my main priority was to bring essentials as well as make sure it was light enough for me to hike for 11 kms.

My packing list looked this way:


- 2 pairs of socks
- a hoodie/sweater
- a jacket
- 1/2 t-shirts
- a sweater to sleep in
- a tent
- a sleeping bag and an air pillow
- a rag
- food
- 1 bottle of water (since you have a possibility to refill it every few minutes)
- antibacterial gel
- little towel/napkins
- a scarf and gloves
- a portable smartphone charger
- a camera
- a bandage and other 1st aid kid
- a sunscreen

- extra trousers* - proved to be optional, since I planned to get more muddy on my way up than I actually turned out to be.
- extra pair of shoes* - I didn't have proper hiking shoes, so having an extra pair was essential, since by the time I got up my feet were wet.

Supposition 1: It's expensive


Well, not really. Or at least if you are travelling in a group. We spent around 70 Euros for a trip from Oslo to Odda and back, since we rented out cars, so our costs were all about the car itself, toll roads, fuel and parking for 24 hours. Also, a good cost reduction solution was to stay up in a tent overnight (plus it was a super awesome bonus to the hiking experience!)

Supposition 2: It's too difficult for beginners

The reality is NO. Or...not really. Of course the first kilometer is a HELL due to its rock stairs (also on the way back knowing you already passed another 10 kms , the 11th one seems to never end), but once you overcame that, it's just a long hike with breathtaking views and from time to time little challenges like crossing a mountain stream, going through snow and climbing a bit steeper hill on the edge.

I decided to really enjoy the hike and do as many breaks as we wished just to sit and enjoy the view while having a snack, so it took us 6 hours to climb up. Also, staying overnight was a good idea, cause after 6 hours hike we had an opportunity to restore our energy for going back.

Odda, Trolltunga hike


Supposition 3: You need a special hiking gear to climb Trolltunga


Nah... Of course hiking gear makes it all easier, that's why it's called "hiking" gear. However in case you are not a frequent hiker and have no opportunity to borrow some special shoes, it's not a big deal. I wore my old sneakers on the way up and a bit warmer boots on the way down. Since at some point of time my non-waterproof shoes would be wet inside, taking an extra pair of shoes was a good move.

Odda, Trolltunga hike


Supposition 4: It's dangerous at some places


The hike is long and beautiful , but nothing dangerous was found. Of course, one should mind their step into somewhat melted snow as well as sandy rocks can be even more slippery than wet stones.
Odda, Trolltunga hike

Supposition 5: One might get lost

There are a couple of reasons you can't get lost while hiking to Trolltunga:
1) You see the red T-shaped marks all around the place, guiding you to the direction you need to take
2) You see human-made little stone towers (like the one on the picture below)
3) You see other people constantly
Odda, Trolltunga hike

Observations about the hiking:


- Community feeling. It is indeed amazing how people say "hi" while passing each other, the others wish you good luck or just start conversation with you.

- It's about the journey not about the destination. Trolltunga itself is of course breathtaking. However so is the way to it. I tend to watch my steps all the time to make sure I don't fall anywhere, but at the same time I found it important to look around and to enjoy the hike, rather than just racing it to the final destination.
Odda, Trolltunga hike

Odda, Trolltunga hike

- Importance of applying sunscreen.  I never do that usually even when going sunbathing, but underestimating the power of sun and wind was a huge mistake: by the time I reached the car my face was a red frying pan.
Odda, Trolltunga hike

- Staying overnight is possible at the top of Trolltunga and many do camp there. It can get a bit cold at night, but once you have a proper sleeping bag, tent and clothes, it's a piece of cake.

Odda, Trolltunga hike

The hike is tough, but that's what makes it so special to finally see the famous rock and what's more important - to feel amazingly proud of this accomplishment, challenge yourself and feel close to the nature.

You Might Also Like

0 коментарі