Falling in love with the Perl of the Danube

11:11

Budapest-Bridge, Margit-Bridge
My first aquaintance with this marvellous capital happened in summer, 2012. And starting from that period I managed to visit this city 4 more times.
Fisherman's-Bastion
Lucky I am that my hometown Uzhgorod (Ukraine) is situated on the border with 4 countries, those are: Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Romania. So if you ask our people whether they've ever been abroad, they will probably say "no", considering those lands not to be a real "abroad".



Some call Budapest the perl of the Europe and it is, indeed. The city is unique because of its location, the city centre is linked to the main river, so when you walk there you have loads of opportunities to cross all the possible bridges that are there,and each of them has its history, style and individuality.



So, starting with the city's architecture& atmosphere.

It is very beautiful and peculiar, but it really needs a bit of repairment. As we've noticed before, when you walk in Budapest, you have a feeling that it delibarately hides its treasures from you, though it doesn't. Anyway, it remains one of my favourite places to visit, that's because I feel here at home. And that's very unusual , because when I visit some new places, I need some time to adjust myself to it.


Budapest-Parliament
We were wandering different streets,since we like to go somewhere without consulting a map, and each street contained some special buildings. Of course, we visited almost all the sightseeings for those 4 times we've been there. My favourite place is surely Fisherman's bastion. Every time I come to Budapest I want to see it over and over again. The hilarious view from that point, loads of people hanging around, a mix of languages you can hear there and the white "castle" that is very interestingly designed are that things that make this place special.

Fisherman's-Bastion
Fisherman Bastion
Fisherman's-Bastion
Fisherman's-BastionI don't know why but I feel sorry for those guys, who are in the guard, They should keep poker face while most of the tourists capture them, or make the photos with them, or try to make them laugh or laugh at them in general. They should have a really strong nerve system:)

The only place I always pass , but never go there for purpose (but always want to) is the Heroes' square. It is situated a bit further from the central part, so if you prefer not to take public transport, but walk, you might feel a bit lazy to go there.

Budapest-Fisherman-Bastion
Budapest-Parliament
The Parliament is of course the main landmark of the city. It is beautiful in all times of year. They repair it all the time, in different parts, though. If you want to have a very close look at it, you should go along the river, where at first you will see another interesting thing i.e. the iron boots. When we didn't know quite well where we were going, we were wondering what did that boots mean, but as I found out later, it was a memorial to the jews during World War II.

Another creepy thing is, when you walk along that river there is no way you can easely cross the road, you have to walk quite a while to the next bridge in order to see the crossing place. At first we were even scared a bit, having a river on our left and a big curb on our right and no sign of crossing point ahead.
iron-boots-in-Budapest


Since the city stands on the river, it has a lot of ferry tours to offer. The one I got was a little tour round the bridges, where we had the radio with 16 different languages to hear about the history of Buda and Pest and its buildings and each of the bridges. The tour was interesting and cost something like 2500-3000 HUF.

telephone-cabin-in-Budapest
And I just can't keep from mentioning about my favourite tellephone cabins with pink telephones inside. It adds its perk into the city.

People. 

Budapest-Castle
I had only good experience with Hungarians. First thing that I noticed, when I came there was that most of them went jogging , or if not jogging then cycling. They seem to be fans of sport, because wherever you go you will always find Hungarians running. I heard that they were not that agreeable when talking to strangers, but I found it opposite. Once we were completely lost without GPS and maps, and we went to completely different part of the city, though our buses were waiting for us on the other side. The only thing we had to do was asking for the road. And how pleasantly surprised I was when each person I asked (there were pretty a lot of them) tried to help us. Most of the people were able to talk in English, some, however, were speaking German. But they turned out to be very helpful, because even if they didn't know the route, they were trying to find it on a map or they were calling some of their relatives/friends to ask for the place we needed. And also I can't keep from mentioning that I liked the way people smiled to us as they passed by. Once I even decided to count the "gathered" smiles from the people and till the end of the day I had something like 30 in my collection.

Budapest, Hungary, railway-station



Travelling through Hungary. 

Budapest-railway-station
On my way back from Vienna to my native Uzhgorod I had a bus to Budapest Nepliget and my train was in an hour and a half in the Nyugati train station. Getting from the bus to the railway station turned out to be very easy, since there is a blue line of the subway, and those are its two stations, so I got to the Nyugati in half an hour (that's considering that at first I didn't know where to go on the bus station). I do not speak a word in Hungarian, but my ability to note my route is very a helpful skiil. When I entered the subway I didn't know which direction I should have taken, but there were two controllers on the each side, so I just approached them and showed my papersheet with "Nyugati" on it, so they showed me the right direction. First impression of the Nyugati was...not that good. In fact I didn't know whether it really was a train station, since it wasn't that clean. And again, the building itself is amazing, but it's not kept clean at all. I didn't have any problems in buying theticket, since I showed the cashier my other note with the train I needed.

Budapest in winter. 

Budapest-in-winter
My first trip of 2014 started again with Budapest (02-03.01.14). The christmarkets were alerady closed, but the atmosphere of the New Year was all over the city. The streets, the cafes, the shops and malls and even the public transportation was adorned with Christmas lights, toys and other sparkling things. It really made up for the lack of snow. This time we spent mostly in the big ARENA shopping centre and even had a look on Margit island at the Margit's bridge, but as it was winter, Margit island wasn't that attractive. In fact we saw just a park for jogging. I guess, it looks better in spring. One of the perfect places to visit in winter was ARENA mall. We spent the whole day there, being lost in the variety of things we wanted to buy. ARENA had its special Christmas atmosphere and it was amazing.

Budapest-in-winter


Budapest-in-winter, Budapest-west-end
A statue of the horse with the torn wings in front of the entrance to the WEST END shopping mall. The only question is What do that torn wings mean?

Two songs that are essential parts of my Budapest visits:


You Might Also Like

0 коментарі