A Day in Udine. World Dance Cup

12:52

26.06.2012
Lion in Udine

Every day was a surprise for us. We decided to visit the nearest to the Austrian border Italian city, which is called Udine. We left in the morning and I wondered how easy was to pass the formal border without having to stay there in the queues for hours.
Austrian-Italian Border

But at first I would like to mention about the marvelous breakfast we had back at the hostel . We had a smorgasbord, where the most fresh and hot bans, sausages, cheese, jams, Nutella, honey, organic yogurts , cornflakes, feta , fruits, milkshakes and other drinks were served. When you start your day with Nutella it can’t go wrong :)
Flowers in Udine Italy

After we reached Udine and went out of the bus we bumped into…no, not Italians, and not even  Austrians! We bumped into Russians. They told us about all the must-see places and we started our journey. 

At first, Udine didn’t make a big impression on me.  That was because of the siesta time, that could be interpreted as “do-what-you-want, eat-what-you-find, because now it is hot and we are sleeping”. The first good thing happened when we bought an ice-cream. I have to admit that Italians make the best ice-cream I’ve ever tried!


When we came to the city centre I finally saw those narrow streets with their cozy atmosphere and unique architecture that Italy is very famous for.  It is difficult to describe the beauty of this ancient city.
Udine

The contrast between the cities was vast: “cold”, clean and strict Villach and a warm cozy ancient Udine. The other thing I’d noticed then was that very few Italians were speaking English. Most of the shop assistants or average pedestrians couldn’t speak even the basic phrases in English, so when I got a bit lost I had to use sign language and luckily I just bumped into my group.

In the evening siesta was over and the city woke up. On the one of the streets a guy from Kenia approached me and gave a handmade bracelet. It was unexpected, but a very pleasant surprise.





Udine


Udine

We gathered all together on the street where two talented violinists (most probably from Ukraine or Russia, since they were counting “Raz, dva, tri”) were playing amazing covers on famous songs. They played different mixes of classical and modern music. They even induced us to come closer when they played their theme from Titanic movie and they played it especially for us.
In Udine I tried Italian cantuccini , which became my favourite desert.
Udine
UdineVery tired but satisfied we were returning to our Forellenhof. I was looking from the window of the bus and when I looked at the Alps the brothers Grimm (though they are not Austrians) came to my mind. Watching that nature you start to believe in all the fairytales they wrote about, you can easily imagine that Hänsel and Gretel are living there somewhere in the deep forest and on the next mountain the evil queen is giving a poisonous apple to the Snowwhite, while the dwarves are away. It seems to be that unique atmosphere you can feel all around in this place

The beginning of our adventure is in Ledenitzen and the next stop is Villach

You Might Also Like

0 коментарі